Wednesday 13 August 2014

Can You Hear Me Now?





If you know me well you’ve probably read the title of this post and sniggered to yourself. Abena writing a blog post about communication may sound like a joke to some of your ears.

For so long I’ve thought of myself as a great communicator as I have no problem with being vocal about what I’m thinking. If someone told me I was a poor communicator in discussions or disagreements I’d probably laugh at them. 


Well its seems as though the joke is on me as several people close to me have recently pointed out that they find it hard to communicate with me because I don’t listen. It took me a while to understand where they were coming from before I realised that for so long I’ve been listening to reply and not to understand.


If I’ve learned anything over the past year it’s that bumping heads or conflict is inevitable in any relationship. Whether it’s your family member, a friend or even a colleague at work. Although how we communicate through these conflicts in our everyday relationships can either bring  people closer together or further apart. Misunderstandings, disagreements and distance are usually a result of poor communication. I for one now see where I've been going wrong for so long

Listen to Understand

Let me honest, when it’s time for me to express how I feel in a discussion i’m not really listening to understand what the other party is trying to say. I’m merely ‘listening’ to give you a reply and to get out everything that's in my head. This technique may allow you to get everything off your chest but it won't get you anywhere in the long run. You may have expressed everything you’ve been feeling but the reality is, you’re still at square one and both party’s still don't understand what the other is trying to communicate. To avoid the frustration of not being understood, I've realised the importance of actually LISTENING to the other party. Not interrupting and reflecting on what they are saying will give you a better understanding of their point of view which will also make them more willing to listen to you


Pick Your Battles Wisely

Not every situation needs a full on reaction or discussion. For people that are very vocal it can be hard to distinguish when you should and shouldn’t speak what’s on your mind. Making a big issue out of something you’ve most likely misinterpreted only leads to an argument that could have been avoided. Before you come on the attack, I’m learning the importance of stepping back to access the situation. Is it really that deep? Is the other party aware they have hurt my feelings? Sometimes getting out of your own feelings and letting the small battles go can avoid a lot of unnecessary conflict.


Own it

Some people really struggle to own up to their faults. We all know that person that would rather roll over and die before they say the words ‘I understand where your coming from, you’re right and I’m sorry’. To some admitting their faults may be a sign of weakness, in my opinion owning your faults is far from weak as it shows strength. Rightfully owning your part to play in the breakdown or conflict in any relationship allows you to take control of the situation. The other party immediately feel a sense of relief as they are being understood and are therefore willing to compromise and move forward


We all have our strengths and weakness when it comes to communicating I for one have no problem with owning my faults but struggle to listen to understand. Just think of how much more easier relationships would be if we took these steps into consideration every time we faced a conflict. 

AK
x

No comments:

Post a Comment